Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (4)

Discovering sunken treasure

The Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology

Who doesn’t love the idea of discovering sunken treasure? I’m sure I remember it being a dream of mine as a young boy. Sailing off a ship (pirate or otherwise), following a map to find the spot where x marks, and then opening up those chests full of gold. “Ah ha me maties, we’ll share this bullion and have a few rums to celebrate.” Or something like that. I’m not sure about the rum part of things – I was just a kid, after all.

Well, finally my dream came true in Turkey when I found the spot, I found x, I found sunken treasure. True, archaeologists and professional divers had already retrieved everything from the water and put it all in one location, but it was still worthy of some celebrational rum later that evening.

Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (6)

The treasure trove is called the Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology. It’s not any old museum, though. For one thing, it’s inside the Bodrum Castle on the side of the harbour. The enormous structure dominates the horizon from any viewpoint along the water’s edge and is the focus of all navigation in the area. The fact that the building complex itself could be a museum means it’s a bonus to have such a good exhibition inside it as well.

Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (1)

Inside the protective walls of the castle are the findings from more than ten shipwrecks along the Turkish coast. With great care and delicacy, teams of experts have retrieved the items that have been left on the seabed or nestled in any remains of the original vessel. They have found jars, coins, weapons, jewellery, glass bowls, and more.

These are old ships we’re talking about. The most recent vessel is about 400 years old and the oldest is from the sixteenth century BC – more than 3,500 years ago. This is the stuff a treasure-hunter’s dreams are made of!

Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (5)

The Uluburun shipwreck, Turkey

One of the most impressive finds that’s housed in the Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology is the wreck of a ship from the fourteenth century BC that was found near Uluburun in south-western Turkey. The guess is that it set sail from a port in what is now Cyprus, Syria or Palestine. Where it was heading, nobody knows for sure. But it had a lot of valuable goods on board, so presumably it was either going to be a gift for an important person, or was heading to a market – perhaps Rhodes.

Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (2)

On board it had copper ingots, a jar full of glass beads, jars of olives, elephant tusks, hippopotamus teeth, ostrich eggshells, a trumpet, gold and silver jewellery, daggers, maces, swords and (my favourite) a gold scarab inscribed with the name ‘Nefertiti’. Clearly this was no ordinary boat with ordinary cargo. Something royal was involved somewhere and it would have been a big loss for this vessel to sink.

Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (3)

But, their loss (whoever ‘they’ were) is our gain because some of things found on board had never been seen by modern eyes before – just read about in ancient texts and on Egyptian tomb paintings.

Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (8)

Imagine being the first person in more than three thousand years to see these things. Well, that honour actually went to a local Turkish sponge diver who first spotted the copper ingots on the bottom of the ocean. His name was Mehmet Cakir and the year was 1982. He sketched what he had seen, describing the bits of copper as “metal biscuits with ears” and, when the nautical archaeologists saw his drawings, an inspection team was sent out to start work.

Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology, turkey, turkish shipwrecks, things to do in bodrum, museums (7)

So, you see, it is still possible to discover sunken treasure. If Mehmet Cakir can do it, so could any of us. Who knows how many more ancient shipwrecks are out there under the crashing waves around Turkey’s reefs? There’s still time to live a childhood dream.

* You can find out more about the Bodrum Museum of Underwater Archaeology here.

• D.J. - The World of Deej | Sep 6, 2012 at 2:19 am

Love that picture of the castle…and I also just noticed your header and how it changes your location….awesome!
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..$250 Fairfield by Marriott Gift Card GiveawayMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Sep 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Thanks. The new header is not exactly what I wanted, to be honest… it’s a bit of a stopgap until I get some other stuff going on.

• Laurence | Sep 6, 2012 at 6:30 am

Ahoy there me heartie. Tis Captain Lozbeard, of the good ship Pierat. Oo, that sounds mysteriously French. If only my keyboard had one of those e’s with an accent. Anyway. I too would like to echo the previous commenters adulation of your new header. Vera was somewhat excited about it too. If only I had a mind like yours. Also, pirates. Pirates are very cool. As long as they are in olden times. These new modern pirates with Ak47′s and fast speedboats are less funky. I lose myself…
    Laurence recently posted..Travel blogging tips from the experts: Green Global TravelMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Sep 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Ha ha… oh dear me. I am waiting for the day that Hollywood make a pirate movie based in Somalia. Do you think Johnny Depp would be up for that?
      And thanks for the thoughts on the header. It uses a very funky web technique I like to call ‘manually uploading a new one everytime I change country’ :)

• Angela | Sep 6, 2012 at 7:43 am

That’s fantastic, such a fascinating museum, I love the explanations about where the ship sailed from and where was going to, I always get so excited when we try to give a reason to all ancient findings! :D
    Angela recently posted..White dunes and sandy beaches, the natural wonders of Jericoacoara, BrazilMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Sep 6, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. It would be easy just to look at a bunch of jewels and go ‘wow’. But when you know they came from a boat thousands of years ago that was probably heading from here to there, etc, it takes on a whole new meaning!

• Natalie | Sep 6, 2012 at 9:28 am

You would be amazed at how many people visit Bodrum and never go in that museum. I think it is fascinating
    Natalie recently posted..Is Trabzon The City Of Love?My Profile

• Michael Turtle | Sep 6, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I guess if you’re going for a bit of a party/resort holiday then it would be easy to overlook. But for anyone who even makes half an attempt to find something to do in Bodrum, it has to be an obvious choice.

• Elmer Cruz | Sep 12, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I wonder if Mehmet Cakir got a piece of the action after the experts came? This is why I like to dive, there’s just so many things to discover underwater!
    Elmer Cruz recently posted..Visiting the Dead Sea – How Low Can You Go?My Profile

• Michael Turtle | Sep 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I hope he grabbed a few things for himself before he showed them where it was. I don’t agree with stealing artifacts but it would be nice to have a souvenir if you’re the guy who discovers it!!

• Arianwen | Oct 6, 2012 at 8:08 am

Wow. Really interesting. When I was in Turkey I just sunbathed, paraglided and bathed in mud! I need to educate myself more when I travel :)
    Arianwen recently posted..Interesting facts about boobies – and other Galapagos residentsMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

It does sound like you had a good time. Nothing wrong with that! It’s good to know there is more to explore if you want to, though.

• my home page | Nov 2, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Hello, I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this info was spectacular. I am wanting to learn about renting a private vacation home in Fethiye, so this post is just what I needed! Thanks.

• community.blueprince.com | May 16, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I like what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever
    work and coverage! Keep up the good works guys I’ve you guys
    to my blogroll.