Tuscany-2012-258_web

How to stop the snoring abuse

There’s no worse feeling in a hostel than the angry stares and frosty greetings I often get in the morning. I volunteer a friendly ‘good morning’ but all that is delivered in return are some grumpy mumblings. Through bleary eyes, the others in my dorm room seem to seethe with a passive hostility that’s struggling to break out from the cage created by our lack of familiarity.

You see, I’m a snorer.

Without ill intentions or deliberate malice, I manage to disturb the sleep of most people in a dorm room. I’m like a garbage truck collecting the trash, that unwanted alarm clock when you need more precious dozing, or the late night return of your drunken partner. In fact, if you combine all those things and then play them out constantly through the night, that’s me.

I hear (during my quieter conscious moments) people always complain about snorers. Sometimes friends in the same hostel but different rooms will moan over breakfast about the nocturnal trumpeting fanfares of another traveller while I just sit there and concentrate on my toast while my face turns the same colour as the strawberry jam. If the conversation topic comes up on the road, it’s normally accompanied by the stories of all in the vicinity who want to share tales of sleepless nights in the presence of what could have passed for a jumbo jet taking off.

Oh, it sounded like a bear was eating someone did it? How awful for you, I offer quietly.

Nobody ever feels sorry for the snorer, though. There never seems to be a thought spared for the poor fellow (and, let’s face it, it’s normally a fellow) who goes to sleep each night knowing that he will have created a horde of enemies by the time he awakens. Never have I met someone in my travels who has volunteered condolences to the man who knows he will arise from his slumber to a room so frosty there would be no need for air- conditioning.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, this is my manifesto and I think it’s time things changed.

I am tired of being the bad guy. (I’m also just generally tired, but that’s quite possibly caused by a sleeping disorder.)

You have no right to be angry if someone snores in your hostel dorm room. You have made a decision to stay in a communal space and you must wear the consequences like the strange smelly hippie in the lower left bunk wears the same thing every day.

You have the option of earplugs or music if things truly bother you that much. (Although, having heard what some travellers consider to be ‘music’ I don’t understand why they wouldn’t prefer the snoring.)

And ultimately there are some things in life you can’t control – taxes, death, your crush on the strange smelly hippie in the lower left bunk… and snoring. This is not a voluntary or a governable action. It’s important you always remember that.

Please, my pleas to you are to not be angry with the snorer in your dorm room, to feel a slight pity for them and to not hold it against them. To snore is human, to forgive divine.

• Azeez A | Jun 8, 2012 at 2:46 am

This is great, i think its time i start forgiving ;)

• Michael Turtle | Jun 12, 2012 at 11:20 am

Good to hear! :)

• Adrian | Nov 17, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Dude.. Having this problem right now. He’s shifting my bricks. His snores are like sonar rays, it’s vibrating everywhere. I’m fucking pissed enough with the smoking, and now the fucking snoring.

I really don’t want to be the bad guy.

Please God help me.

Tried music, but the snore just gets louder and louder.

• Angie Away | Jun 9, 2012 at 4:06 am

I forgive you, mostly because I like your style. However. I still think snorer-friendly dorms would be a nice way to solve the problem on both ends. As a super light sleeper, I can only turn to hostels in a pinch because I absolutely won’t get any sleep – even with earplugs or headphones. If there were snore dorms for heavy sleepers & known snorers, I think we’d all get along in the common area much better =)
    Angie Away recently posted..One Night in Cape Town: Dinner with the PresidentMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jun 12, 2012 at 11:26 am

I would be very happy with that too. It would help assuage my guilt somewhat.

• Afshin | Oct 15, 2014 at 9:20 am

There is something deeply *evil* about snoring. It creates a rift between those who must suffer the loss of precious sleep because of it, and it harms the peace of mind of those whose sleep cannot pass without the occurrence of it, usually marking the depth of their rest. Such an irony that it simultaneously marks the deprivation of the rest of others, to say nothing of the depth of rest they might have gotten.

It is foul thing, snoring, worse because the snorer is not an infrequent entity, and so it is like a pervasive society within society, unshakable in its membership, notorious among the rest of mankind, yet distributed throughout its ranks, sometimes among those who are loved by those who are not included within its ill-starred fold.

It is a hideous thing, snoring. It robs people of one of life’s absolute necessities but under the twisted guise of being “a fact of life”. It is not something that is controllable by the snorer, save that he or she is awakened and loses their sleep, and the result of this is only as temporary as it was when first they went to sleep, coming back when once they are back into deep rest. The snorer may be completely unaware that they snore, as well.

But that is simply not an excuse to demand that others put up with it. What an arrogant and wretched attitude of indifference to what others suffer as a result of your “peculiarity”. It being an unconsciously performed act is no more of an excuse to do nothing about it and to take no responsibility than being unaware of the fact that you have sleepwalked right up to someone else while they are sleeping is something others would feel inclined to “just put up with”, especially if they awoke finding you standing there over them.

Some people have a problem of talking or having moving fits in their sleep, but at least these aren’t a rhythmic force of horrid noise which saws and gnaws, for hours at a time directly into the sanity of others.

Frankly, it is another sign of just how pathetic and unseemly is the “God” which made men, and how unworthy of praise. Doubly so, in that some of his lesser specimens have a decidedly special tendency to demand accommodation for their deficiency, a tendency they inherited from their maker’s own arrogance and blindness.

And fortunately NO, unlike one trollish MONSTER of a snore-beast’s lie about me, I do not *also snore*. But that is just another example of how a double standard is raised high above the heads of the cretinous army of defective beings, who know very well what a shame it is to have such gross imperfections such as would directly gouge and grate into others’ existences, as they demand acceptance for the same, yet realize that it is an implicit stab at another’s sanity to claim they too are one of the damned.

• Changes In Longitude | Jun 9, 2012 at 7:05 am

Michael,

We forgive you but we’ve also never slept with you. (That prob doesn’t sound right.) At least you’re a great guy during the day. Imagine being an asshole that snored?

Good luck with this.

Cheers,

Larissa and Michael
    Changes In Longitude recently posted..Larissa tries authentic Malaysian cookingMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jun 12, 2012 at 11:27 am

True! To be fair, some people I’ve become friends with in hostels don’t get angry but they still point out they had a bad night’s sleep. That always makes me feel worse!

• Someday I'll Be There - Mina | Jun 9, 2012 at 7:24 am

Though not a snorer myself, or at least I haven’t heard any complains so far (maybe people were nice to me?) But I do forgive you, having seen how a snorer was treated once in a hostel room.

The guy in the bed beside him threw a soap bar at the snorer to wake him up. When the snorer asked whats wrong, the bar thrower just gave him the finger. I personally knew the snorer and having him say the story with almost tears in his eyes made me feel really bad for him!
    The snorer spend the rest of the trip resorting to the comforts of single rooms (it was on the Camino de Santiago, and there, staying in those albergues with over 50 beds in one room is just a part of the experience…)

PS It is not usually a dude that is making the noise. I have seen (or heard) some dudettes who were worse than most snorer guys I know!
    Someday I’ll Be There – Mina recently posted..How I got my name: St. Mina MonasteryMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jun 12, 2012 at 11:29 am

I can relate to your friend’s story. It’s interesting to hear he got single rooms because of it. I also try to do that when I can but it’s not always possible.

• Nomadic Chick | Jun 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Love your idea of snore only dorm rooms, cause sadly I snore myself. Surprised many a suitor. Whoops. :)
    Nomadic Chick recently posted..My Heart is with Eurail, Sorry Airline TravelMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jun 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

Whoops! Would never have picked it :)

• Beverley | Pack Your Passport | Jun 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’ve been told by my other half (and also a highly agitated Canadian who not only shouted at me for snoring throughout the night but also called me a fat b*itch…but that’s another story….) that I snore but it tends to only happen when I’m really really tired and therefore in a kind of semi-coma type of sleep.

I do think “snorer-only” dorm rooms would be a fantastic idea if I knew I was going to have one of my snoring episodes!
    Beverley | Pack Your Passport recently posted..Guest Post | An Epic Red Centre Road Trip…My Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jun 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

It sounds like that Canadian needs his own room! Intentional verbal abuse is a lot worse than our tiny little noises in the night…

• Michelle Hall-Jones | Jun 12, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I read your article about how you feel being the person that snores, and we hear these complaints from so many people worldwide. Our company has been manufacturing and selling the SnoreMeds mouth guard for the last 7 years and it has a 85% success rate with tongue based snorers.
    If you would like to reduce your snoring and improve your health, can we recommend that you try our product. Visit http://www.snoremeds.com.au

• AAT | Jun 14, 2012 at 11:06 am

Hey Turtle, What do you do when someone else is snoring in your dorm and you can’t sleep?

• Michael Turtle | Jun 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Good question! Thankfully I’m a heavy sleeper and it doesn’t bother me at all. I actually quite like it when there’s another snorer because I hope it’ll take the pressure off me :)

• Stephanie - The Travel Chica | Jun 14, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I think they should have separate dorms for snorers :-)
    Stephanie – The Travel Chica recently posted..Eating My Way Through BA Part 10: A New Experience with Carnes AutóctonasMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jun 15, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Maybe we’ve almost got enough support to start a new campaign!! :)

• Vicky | Jun 14, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Hmmm, I’m not sure Michael. I kind of think I do have a right. How is it fair that you sleep, but the other people don’t? It is a tough problem, but I guess I have to agree with the comments above that there should be a separate soundproof dorm for snorers.
    Vicky recently posted..Travel Magazines and Websites I Want My Name InMy Profile

• Alastair McKenzie | Jun 15, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Think you’ve tapped a rich seam here, turtle!

I know exactly what you’re talking about (I have to buy a new tent for my son this summer because he refuses to sleep in mine).

My (ex) wife made me pay for some expensive minor surgery in Harley Street to fix my snoring, which it did…. for a couple of years.

… but, from my perspective, I’m innocent.

I know nothing of this cruel sleep-stealing monster that others tell me about, so I just feel bemused – innocent *and* guilty.

• Michael Turtle | Jun 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

Innocent AND guilty – that’s exactly how we all feel. I’m sick of it! If expensive surgery can’t even stop it then what else can we do? Except get a second tent, of course.

• Vera | Jun 22, 2012 at 3:07 am

Hey Michael, great post! I don’t snore, but my sister does. Man, does she ever! She’s the Queen of snoring; she’d make you humble! I dearly love her, nevertheless, and slept with wax ear plugs when we were back-packing in Oz, and I didn’t mind, because, yeah: I too feel that if you are sharing a room with, say, 5 random strangers, you can’t always be lucky and get it your way. But it makes you thankful to the travel gods each freaking time when you do:) By the way: after our first night in Sydney, we stood outside of our hostel, and that nice guy from our room came over and chatted to us, when all of the sudden he turned towards my sister and said: “You know, I really wanted to kill you last night. I had a pillow in my hands and stood beside your bed and was about to choke you. I really was.”, and we were like: “Oh.”. I think he just had to get it off his chest. I’m still friends with him on Facebook:).
    Vera recently posted..Sunset explosionMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jun 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I’m terrified to think about the murder plots that people have concocted while trying to sleep in a dorm room with me. The pillow thing sounds a bit scary! nice that you still stayed friends, though. Hopefully more people will be able to forgive.

• Scott - Quirky Travel Guy | Jun 24, 2012 at 12:45 am

This is a fun post and it’s interesting to hear the other side. But I disagree with the argument. If you’re a heavy snorer, don’t stay in hostels. It’s flat-out inconsiderate to know you’re going to keep people awake and go ahead and do it anyway. Book a private room if you must. I’m a mild snorer and I shy away from hostels whenever possible for that reason. If money is a major consideration, couchsurf instead!
    Scott – Quirky Travel Guy recently posted..Quirky Attraction: Redwoods World War II Radar StationMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jul 3, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I’ve got to respect your view, Scott, but it’s a tricky situation. Not everyone who snores is able to afford a private room every night. Should they be penalised for a medical condition? I think there’s got to be a level of acceptance that not everything is going to be quiet and perfect in a dorm room. This morning people woke me up when they were leaving and packing at 6am. Should they have got a private room instead?

• Adam Woods | Oct 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm

You tell ‘em Turtle. Making us pay more because the snore! These people should buy some bleedin’ earplugs, which, correct me if i’m wrong, are generally less expensive than the cost of a single room.

If anything, THEY’RE the inconsiderate ones.

Huray for the common snorer.

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Ha ha – thanks, Adam!
          I’m glad I’ve recruited another member for the snorers cheer squad. I’m not sure we’re going to be terribly popular, though…

• andie | Aug 29, 2013 at 2:04 am

Wow. Reading these comments, it sounds like you snorers are making excuses to make yourselves feel less guilty. I am currently, at this very moment, sleeping underneath a man snoring his brains out. It’s past midnight, this is a scuba resort, and I can’t sleep.

Some commenters have suggested trying earplugs or headphones. I have both on. I have earplugs in and over ear Bluetooth noise-cancelling headphones over them, with my music turned all the way up.

How is this fair?! I’m about ready to go sleep outside!

• The Best Travel Blogs and Posts in June | The HostelBookers Blog | Jul 2, 2012 at 10:42 pm

[...] from timetravelturtle.com touches on a thorny subject here: he’s a snorer and proud. In How To Stop Snoring in a Hostel Dorm he says it’s not his fault and that he shouldn’t be hated at breakfast, but that [...]

• Mary @ Green Global Travel | Aug 5, 2012 at 1:15 am

Oh, how I love this post! Given the nickname “Chainsaw” in college, I’m horribly embarrassed about my snoring. Occasionally, my girlfriends and I have sleepovers (we’re in our 30’s) and I bring earplugs for everyone and segregate myself to the furthermost corner of the room. Thanks for letting me know I’m not alone!
    Mary @ Green Global Travel recently posted..How To Be Happier: 5 Secrets To Improvising Your LifeMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Aug 20, 2012 at 6:52 am

Ha ha – if you’re giving out earplugs to everyone, then you must really be worried about it! Don’t worry, you’re certainly not alone :)

• Val in Real Life | Aug 5, 2012 at 1:31 am

Oh man I feel for you! I, for one, have always felt bad for snorers but in my case it’s at campgrounds. I seem to always manage a site right next to one. On my most recent trip I had the added bonus of experiencing a 3 am disgruntled discussion as a teenage daughter kicked her dad out of the tent to sleep in the car because of his snoring.

But your other commenter has a point. Who’s responsibility is it to acquiesce on their accommodations…the snorer or the snoree? Unlike the noisy early risers or the stinky hippie, it isn’t simply a matter of changing behavior. Yet the argument can be made for both party’s budget considerations.

No answers on this one. Maybe the snorer could hand out earplugs to his/her fellow travelers within earshot? ;)
    Val in Real Life recently posted..Postcards from Camp Granola: PlayMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Aug 20, 2012 at 6:54 am

I think if other people are happy to use earplugs, then it’s the perfect way to make things better for everybody!!

• Anna | Aug 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I snore, I dont know if I snore all the time but I do snore. I dont snore badly though.
    Anna recently posted..How to Stop Snoring With a Snore GuardMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Aug 20, 2012 at 6:54 am

Hopefully that means you’re not disturbing too many people much of the time then!

• Joshua Stokes | Aug 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

Hey,

Firstly I wanted to just thank you for posting this article!

I am in exactly the same boat as you! Second month in to traveling Europe (where you at now!?) and can only afford hostel dorm accommodation..

I am filled with constant feelings of guilt, shame and embarrassment and every night I struggle to try to get to sleep as my mind is constantly racing either telling myself to sleep on my side or trying some new anti-snore spray I found in the last city I visited. In fact, I found this website from googling ‘Hostel Dorms How can I stop snoring’ haha..

I completely understand how other travelers feel, I’ve been kept up by drunken late night arrivals, 4am showers and bad snorers too! But I hate the awkwardness and the way people hate you the next day.

Cheers for this Michael, I guess until these separate dorms are created I will resort to the earplug offering option.

J.

• Christian | Oct 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’m writing this post at 4am from a hostel toilet. Ive never had any problems up until now with snorers in hostels, but this one guy in my room, Jesus fuck I have never in my entire life experienced something so bad. I had earplugs fully in, with canned headphones on top, music too loud to sleep, and I could STILL hear him. It’s easy for you to say “just forgive the snorer” when it’s you that gets a full night sleep, while everyone else gets kept awake. Is it really fair for 1 snorer to keep 5 other people awake for an entire night? Packing at 6am is different, you at least get to sleep most of the night, deal with a bit of noise, then go back to sleep. To miss out on an entire night of sleep, it’s pretty terrible. Why don’t you try it? Get yourself really tired, ready for a good nights sleep. Then download a soundtrack of a snorer, play it really loud, and keep yourself awake ALL night. Imagine that was a person who was in your dorm, who was well aware of what they were doing. Put yourself in our shoes and see what it’s like. Snoring may be involuntary, but sleeping in a hostel when you know your snoring is bad enough to keep people awake? That’s you making the decision to prevent 5 people from getting a good nights sleep because you don’t want to deal with the fact you have a snoring problem.

• Michael Turtle | Oct 7, 2012 at 11:52 am

Good points! I do think it’s important to think about it from other people’s perspectives. It sure sounds like you had a pretty hellish night. Something for me to think about… thanks.

• Donna | Oct 14, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Hello,

I too am having this problem and would like to ask you a question. If the snorer is not aware that their snoring is horrendously loud how do you approach them about coming to a possible resolution (and I have traveled – there are different degrees of loudness)? For example they are a girl and “would not believe that they (a girl) would snore at all” – let alone two of them in the same room going at it.

Really I am absolutely throwing everything I have at this issue in terms of empathy, tact and ‘conflict resolution’ but to no avail. I just want to know what would you find least offensive in terms of a direct “is there something we can do about this” approach.

It would not be such a problem only I am sharing with them long term and am not sure there is a viable solution in the works. Given that I am not going to get hostile or expect them to magically stop snoring.

Thanks,

Donna

• Michael Turtle | Oct 23, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Hi Donna,
      A very good question! It definitely sounds like something you need to address if you’re going to be spending a lot of time with them. But there’s an issue about whether by telling someone, you actually make the situation any better.
      I have had people I’m sharing with tell me that I snore. But it doesn’t mean I can stop it. It just means that I feel bad and guilty for any potential disturbance I’m causing. But, at the same time, it does let me try different things to make it better and sometimes they work.
      If I could offer any advice, it would be to bring it up in a way that helps them understand how difficult it makes it for you to sleep and how nice they would be if they tried some methods to alleviate the snoring.
      Hope that helps!

• Timothy | Dec 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Michael I can see how this could be quite an embarrassing problem. No use in beating up on yourself for simply the way your anatomy was designed. Have you tried a snoring mouthpiece? Did it work for you?

• Michael Turtle | Dec 7, 2012 at 11:45 am

I haven’t tried it. Thanks for the tip!

• Scott | Dec 14, 2012 at 5:58 am

If all those who snore please come with me this lovely cage, we will feed you and make you work hard, all day. Then we will kill you all my little snoring friends. Goodnight.

• Michael Turtle | Dec 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Yes… ummm… goodnight, indeed.

• rachel | Mar 5, 2013 at 5:17 pm

haha good one actually, to be honest I have never put myself in the shoes of a loud snorer, but it never really did bother me too. like you say if I chose to stay in a dorm, I would certainly put on my trusty ear plugs and retreat into my own world. if there is a dorm for snorers it would make everyone happy don’t you think, snorer or light sleepers! if we use an earplugs, maybe you can try using some things to help alleviate your snoring? just a thought. in life and travels, we are all learning tolerance and compaasion ;)
    rachel recently posted..Top 10 Must Visit Places in BaliMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 11:00 pm

A dorm for snorers seems to be the most popular suggestion. Now I’m just going to wait for a hostel to start one and see what happens!!

• James | Apr 20, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I’m writing this from a hostel in Buenos Aires at five in the morning having been woken up by two snorers in my eight person dorm room. I do feel slight sympathy for the snorer, however I find it an inherantly selfish act to chose to sleep in a dorm room with the knowledge that your snoring is capable of disturbing sometimes up to five other people’s sleep. It is difficult given that staying in private accommodation would be significantly more expensive for the one snorer but I think said snorer has to accept that it’s not fair to potentially ruin a peron’s travelling or holidaying experience. For example I am here in Buenos Aires for only four nights as it is an expensive place to stay. So, it is upsetting to have to waste some of my precious time in this lovely city having to sleep in the middle of the day, or failing that not being able to go out at night because of fatigue.

• Michael Turtle | Apr 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Yeah, I hear you, James. This is the great dilemma of the snoring situation. It’s nobody’s ‘fault’ as such, in that the snorer can’t control it. But somebody has to make a sacrifice – either the snorer paying more for a private room or the other people wearing earplugs or feeling tired. Unfortunately there is no easy solution. I suppose all I wanted to do with this piece was raise the point that the snorer suffers too – they know what they are doing to the other people…
      I hope your stay in BA got better.

• Greg gregory | Jul 19, 2014 at 7:55 am

Kill the snorers

• Greg gregory | Jul 19, 2014 at 7:56 am

I hope the snorers stop breathing

• Chris | Jun 23, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I’m currently in a room with a snorer and i feel its their duty to accept that they have a problem and make accomadations where they don’t ruin 5-8 other peoples nights to save a buck or two.

• Fritz | Aug 5, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I think the comparison to someone leaving early is unfair. They’ll probably disturb you for 30 min tops. Same thing with a drunk person or someone having sex. Snorers have the power to rob a room of an entire night’s sleep.

I would suggest that a more accurate comparison would be to someone who requires loud music to be played from speakers in order to sleep. While I would sympathize with them, I would tell them that a dorm room is not the place for them.

At the very least, please warn the others BEFORE you go to bed so I can acquire some earplugs (even better, bring some extras with you for those without). If you don’t warn me and I lose an entire night’s sleep to you, don’t be surprised if I’m frosty in the morning.

• Simon | Nov 14, 2013 at 11:05 am

I am currently in a 8bed dorm and cannot sleep due to the fact of a snorer, is it rude for me to want to wake them up and ask them to do something about it?

• jonny | Jan 2, 2014 at 2:42 pm

It’s hilarious how many people are commenting whilst being kept awake in hostels! I am in Prague and have three snorers surrounding me as we speak. It’s 5am and I haven’t slept yet.

Of course snorers can’t help the fact that they make noise at night. However, you can hardly be surprised at the frosty reception. I’ll probably have to spend my day napping whilst the hostel sound system checks out Prague Castle. Still think it’s worse for the snorer?

• lisa | Mar 13, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Yep being kept awake and earplugs don’t stop the noise. One person sleeps and 5 don’t. If you snore DON’T stay in hostels…

• joe snow | Apr 3, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Hey time travel turtle, I can only sleep with the radio on, do you think this is OK in hostel dorms?

• Michael Turtle | Apr 4, 2014 at 4:29 am

Everyone has different needs, different routines, and different sleeping patterns in hostels. That’s why there can be so many different issues. I think the key here is to minimise disturbances as much as possible but accept that some things are unavoidable. In your situation, listening to the radio with headphones would work, wouldn’t it?

• GJ | Apr 25, 2014 at 1:51 pm

I feel for you, man. I was traveling in Southeast Asia, and I also experienced the rudeness of my roommates in a couple of hostels where I stayed in. I snore, too, and I have to agree with you that everyone staying in a hostel should expect snorers. They can’t choose the people that they share the room with. Just the same, they can’t tell a crippled person to stay away from using the sidewalk because they’re slowing people down. It’s not like we choose to snore. Nobody wants to bother anybody. And to that woman in Kuala Lumpur who told me to stay in a hotel instead, don’t tell me what to do. I prefer staying at a hostel because it’s cheaper, and that is my choice as I travel alone. But you’re traveling in a group, so that means it should be more affordable for you to share a fancy room. Expect the unexpected when sharing a common area.

• Michael Turtle | May 4, 2014 at 8:23 am

Thanks, mate. It’s nice to have some support on this. A lot of people seem to think that us snorers should be pariahs when it comes to accommodation. I guess it’s hard to know what it’s like on the other hand. I have definitely slept in rooms where people snore a lot worse than me and I just put up with it. But I am quite a heavy sleeper…

• Alan | May 10, 2014 at 9:54 am

Your problem makes people cry. In my opinion, it is quite selfish. In the political views, people lives well without problems. Snoring makes others terrible situations, it is a problem. But you said it is nature! And everybody must be sacrifce and understand. Is that not too much?

If you love to share spaces, there are suggestions for sharing hearts. Some snorers give earplugs to mates first, never ask people to buy themselves. It is similar to a responsiblity to public, like keep a road clean after walking the dog, right?

Ps, I am trying to be patient with snoring mate down to me.

• jonas s | Jul 7, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I know you cant help it but you know what could help…. Tell the people you snore so they can go buy earplugs or whatever instead of waking up in the night…. Just because you warned them they’ll br friendlier. Unlike the guy i’m lying in the room with right now….!!!

• Greg gregory | Jul 19, 2014 at 7:41 am

NO…screw the apology. Snoring is your problem. Probably because you are FAT/obese or something else wrong with you. If you are a fatty. Freaking stop eating so much. With chicks its mostly cause of all the fat. Guys its about 60/40 fat skinny. Earplugs dont help. Music? Drown out snoring with more loud noise? Yeah no. How bout you try every thing YOU can possibly try or do to stop. When i hear snoring i hope the person stops breathing and dies. Especially if they have sleep apnea and stop breathing then start snore gasping for air. When they stop breathing i cross my fingers and pray they dont start breathing again so i can get some sleep. And to teeth grinders here’s a big soap bar to the face and middle finger. Get a mouth guard you pos.

• Greg gregory | Jul 19, 2014 at 7:54 am

No sympathy for the snorer. Dont stay in hostels if you snore. Its likely that you are a fat ass like this chick in my room. No headphones don’t work! You want quiet when you sleep. Otherwise you’d sleep thru snoring. Earplugs? Ha! No. They don’t work. Snoring is disgusting. The sounds. Yuck. If someone has apnea and stops breathing. I cross my fingers and pray they don’t start breathing again so i can sleep. There are products to make you stop or you can drop that extra 40kilos thats making you so fat you snore. Fat fatty mcfatterson fat. And to the teeth grinders. Get a mouth guard for god sake. And quit all the quim crying about frosty air in the morning you louse of the lunar.

• Fuck you | Aug 20, 2014 at 11:30 pm

Just a thought mate but what if YOU deal with your fucking issues rather than burdening several others every night of travel? There are many, many ways to treat your issue. And if you are too obnoxious (I have a hunch you might be) maybe YOU should consider alternative sleeping arrangements. Not the other 10 people in your room. Not even a good attempt at justifying your weaknesses. Sick of people making their problems other peoples problems also. – from a sleepless traveller of 3 nights. This holiday is suddenly dreadful. Cheers, dick head and those like you.

• Snoring dickhead | Sep 21, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Wouldn’t you rather pay an extra $10 a night for a private room and avoid the constant embarrassment of being a snorer?
      If you can’t afford it then ask every poor soul in your dorm room to donate $1 towards it.
      You suck.

• Alex Bjordjën | Aug 20, 2014 at 11:35 pm

you are a loser guy, you feel guilty? maybe do some thing about it, then. would enjoy the chance to hurt you. assholes

• Hates Snorers | Sep 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm

This is kinda of a cocky post on your part man.

I’ve been travelling for a long time and I use hostels a lot. The fact that you post about the fact no one every things about the snorer is very cocky indeed and that people chose to be in community environment (the hostel) so deal with the snorer, oh that’s so cocky.

You have the ability not to piss people off. There are so many things that people who snore can do to fix the issue.

I have no sympathy for snores. A few times I’ve slapped a pillow hard in their face until I figured out how to stop hearing it with special headphones that make me hear my breathing and nothing else.

You do deserve the evil stares in the morning if you snore as you made the choice to go in the dorm knowing you piss people off not having done anything about your condition that can get fixed. If it’s a little surgery that’s needed or maybe you are fat and nee to loose weight as thats a big factor or if you get one of those little things you put on your nose.

Sorry man no sympathy. If you’re not cocky and arrogant you will allow this reply to stay on your blog and then go and figure out how to fix your problem ;)

• Honestly | Sep 15, 2014 at 1:33 am

You have a choice. Get it sorted and stop making the rest of your fellow travellers miserable. Pointless self indulgent post.