The best of the rest: Photos from Myanmar

Photos of Myanmar

Firstly, thank you for being so patient with all my posts from Myanmar over the past few weeks. I know there were a lot of them but I have felt quite inspired to share all the wonderful experiences I’ve had. Also, it’s a country that does not have the same awareness as many of its more popular South East Asian neighbours and I feel like there’s been a genuine interest from everyone who reads Time Travel Turtle – so thank you very much for that.

For my final post (yes, you can breathe a sigh of relief, it’s come to an end), I wanted to publish a collection of photos that didn’t fit in anywhere else. Some of these I like because of the aesthetics, some I like because of the warmth of the faces (a recurring theme through all of my travels in Myanmar), and some I wanted to share because they capture the beautiful uniqueness of the country.

In case anyone is interested (and I have had a few people ask), I shoot with a Canon 600D with a pretty crappy kit lens (18mm – 55mm). I rarely take the camera off automatic because I work on the assumption the tiny processor in the camera is smarter than I am. (Also I don’t know what all the little images on the knob are… is the icon of the running man with no feet only for taking photos of South African crime scenes?) And I also do a bit of touching-up on the computer to hide the fact I didn’t pay attention to where the light source was.

So, that all being said, I hope you’ve enjoyed coming along on the journey through Myanmar. Please let me know if you’re ever planning to head there yourself because I would love to hear all about your impressions. And now, here are the rest of the photographs:

Modern Buddhism

Religion permeates through almost everything people do in Myanmar and it’s impossible to avoid. 90 per cent of the population is Buddhist and it dominates the infrastructure. Quite often the main ‘sights’ in a town are the pagodas and temples – not just because the Myanmar people put such an emphasis on them but because they are beautifully-built and elaborately-decorated. The most famous is the Shwedagon Pagoda… but there are many more.

Ancient Buddhism

The ruins of the ancient temples throughout the country show you the history of Buddhism in Myanmar. Although the area of Bagan is the most famous, you’ll find sprinklings of ruins in many other places. They are still revered (and you’ll often find people praying at the ancient statues) but they’re not always maintained to the highest standards.

The rural landscapes

It’s really dry this time of year and you can see that in the landscapes outside of the big cities. There’s a haze which is always hovering just above the ground, giving the country a rather ethereal feel when the sun is lower in the sky. Most people outside the cities work on the land, tending to their crops, and it’s the backbone of the society here.

Smiling children

The smiles – oh, the smiles! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the people in Myanmar have a genuine friendliness to them and are so welcoming of foreigners. How can you not have our heart lifted a bit when you see these open faces with their broad smiles?

Everyday karma

I love this shot, not because it’s particularly well-taken, but because of what it shows. To get good karma, people sometimes will buy captive animals and then set them free. This young couple is buying some fish that they will take to the lake across the road and release. Their faces say it all.

Food

The food in Myanmar has a bad reputation but unfairly, in my opinion. There’s a great range of cuisines with some really interesting tastes. And the food is usually extremely fresh because it’s probably come from a nearby farm or lake. Having said that, I have no idea what these are and I wasn’t brave enough to find out.

The Irrawaddy River

The Irrawaddy River has been the lifesource of these parts for centuries. Commerce, transportation, food – it provides it all. This sunrise also shows you how beautiful and peaceful it can be at parts.

Monks and nuns

With religion being such an important part of life here, many young people choose to spend some time devoted to Buddhism. You’ll see lots of monks and nuns everywhere you go, normally just going about their daily life. A peek into a monastery (like the first photo below) shows you the routine they must go through as part of the religious studies. Most monks eat just two meals a day and all the food is donated by people hoping to increase their karma and community standing.

Mandalay Hill

The walk to the top of Mandalay Hill is one of the iconic things to do in Myanmar – I went up there just after visiting the Mandalay Palace. It’s a long way up but the journey is filled with fascinating little altars and temples along the way. The view from the top, as the end of the day approaches, was made more spectacular by the vivid clouds.

The Burmese script

Even though I couldn’t read a single word and had a lot of trouble even speaking Burmese, I found the symbols of the language to be really beautiful. There’s something about all the curves and circles which make any sign look like a piece of art to me!

Shopping

If you like shopping, then Myanmar might not be the place for you. There are no nice big malls or designer shops. In fact, there are (thankfully) very few souvenir shops as well, save for around the most popular attractions. This shop is not aimed at tourists – it’s for locals who want to buy something to leave at a pagoda as an offering.

Photos of Myanmar, Burma

Getting to a Buddha

The entrances to the country’s pagodas are often as interesting as the pagoda itself. Sometimes it can be a long and steep staircase, sometimes through the wilderness, and sometimes along a lengthy covered passageway like in the photo below.

Worshipping a Buddha

This Buddha statue is considered to be the most important in all of Myanmar. It’s called the Mahamuni Buddha and is in Mandalay. The reason it is so special its because it’s said to be one of only five images made during the Buddha’s lifetime. Two others are in India and the other two are in paradise. You can see by the crowds who sit down in front of it to worship how special it is to the local people.

Making a Buddha

But, of course, it’s much easier to have your own Buddha statue in your home. If you need one, these guys can make one for you!

The cat monastery

There are temples and monasteries devoted to all sorts of things. Here, on Inle Lake, is a monastery devoted to cats. They rule this place and can go and do what they want. It used to be called the Jumping Cat Monastery but I was told by everyone they have now retired and prefer to spend their days just lazing about and waiting to be fed. Pfft – cats!

Puppies!!

And finally, if you don’t like cats, or if you like cuteness (and who doesn’t) here are some Burmese puppies. Enough said! :)

photos of myanmar, burma images, travel photography in myanmar, burma

Are you interested in finding out more about Myanmar? Then you can check out my free Myanmar Travel Guide!

• Londoner Kate | Feb 28, 2013 at 8:21 am

Wow these photos are amazing. I’m not visiting Myanmar on my journey through SE Asia but this makes me want to. So much more rural than the rest.

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:06 pm

It’s a really different feel to any of the other countries I’ve been to in SE Asia. It’s a pity you’re not going to be able to pass through because there’s never been a better time!

• Kellie | Feb 28, 2013 at 8:49 am

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed your posts and photographs and found them both entertaining and thought provoking. They reminded me why I loved visiting Myanmar so much in 2010 and why I look forward to hopefully returning again this year.

Thanks for sharing and happy travels on wherever your next adventure takes you!
    Kellie recently posted..El Calafate, Argentina: A Brief Glimpse at PatagoniaMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:07 pm

Thanks, Kellie. I’m a bit jealous that you got to go in 2010… it would have been a different experience then. Let me know if you make it back this year because I would love to hear if you think it has changed at all.

• Forrest | Feb 28, 2013 at 9:02 am

Great post. We saw the same things mostly. The cats did jump when I was there! Did you see the royal barge on Inle? I did not think that Inle was over commercialized. All together, excellent coverage of Burma!

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Those bloody cats have become so lazy. All they do now is laze about. A few little jumps wouldn’t hurt them, would it? :)
      I don’t think I saw the barge… at least, I didn’t realise if I did.

• Leyla Giray | Feb 28, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Your entire series has been fantastic and I’ve enjoyed every single bit of it, well done! I’m sad it’s over… these photos do cap it all wonderfully. I did see the jumping cats pre-retirement – they would jump through hula hoops held up by the monks. A bit strange but oddly entertaining. I don’t know what the food is like these days but 20 years ago it was inedible and refuge was sought in Chinese restaurants. And one last thing – too bad you couldn’t capture Burmese singing. I don’t know if it’s still like that but Burmese love to sing – all night, every night, loudly, right outside your door or window. I’ve now been hit with such a wave of nostalgia I’m going to hunt for my missing photos again… an outstanding series, it was…
    Leyla Giray recently posted..Truffle, Truffle, Toil and TroubleMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Awww… thanks Leyla.
      I know what you mean about the singing. It’s really sweet to wake up in the morning to hear someone sweeping the pavement and singing outside your window, or cooking in the kitchen and singing. The only problem is that ‘Gangnam Style’ seems to have finally hit Myanmar so there were quite a few people who would sing that… or at least, the two lines that anybody knows :)

• mabaydar | Feb 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

The food is called “Mote lin ma yar” which literally mean “Married couple snack”… I don’t know why they named like that… There’s actually male and female version of that snack…
    The one with quail eggs and the one without it… it is made of rice flour, added spring onion and boiled bean. And of course, it is safe to eat. :D
    mabaydar recently posted..Eventful FebruaryMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm

I really should have tried it. But without someone explaining what it was, I didn’t quite see the point. Now you’ve told me, I kind of regret it :(
      Thanks for all your comments and information on the Myanmar posts. It’s been really great to have a local perspective on things!!

• Mabaydar | May 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Come again and I will explain for you… :)

• Lizzie | Feb 28, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Great photos! Myanmar does seem to be more underdocumented than other South East Asian countries so it has been interesting getting an insight into it via your posts. I love the photo of the sunrise on the Irrawaddy River and, of course, the puppies!
    Lizzie recently posted..The Architecture of SpainMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:14 pm

How can you not love the puppies! :)
      And thanks, it’s been really enjoyable to discover more about the country and share it. I’m so glad people have found it useful.

• Samuel Jeffery | Feb 28, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I’ve really been enjoying all of your Myanmar posts. It’s one of only a few countries in SE Asia I haven’t visited. I’m more inspired than ever to finally make my way there this year.
    Samuel Jeffery recently posted..Nanta Performers Using Knives to Entertain in Myeongdong, Seoul, KoreaMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Thanks, mate. If you need to find people for your ‘smiling faces’ series then you won’t have any troubles in Myanmar. You might have to start a whole new website just to fit in all the shots you could take here! I can’t wait to read your stuff when you make it there this year!

• The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) | Mar 1, 2013 at 12:10 am

I have loved your Myanmar posts! My favorite photo is probably the nun on the boat. I agree, we were really struck by the beauty of the Burmese script when we were there.
    The Time-Crunched Traveler (Ellen) recently posted..Why our first trip to Turkey won’t be our lastMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:17 pm

The nun on the boat is one of my favourites too. She was just sitting there so peacefully. But that is kind of what nuns do! :)

• tom | Mar 1, 2013 at 1:03 am

Hey buddy – I shared this post before I even read it as I knew it was going to be good!

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts from Myanmar/Burma it is somewhere I have always wanted to visit over the past 5-6 years but I just haven’t made it yet.

Great pictures too :)
    tom recently posted..The walk to Madonna di San LucaMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Thanks, Tom. Phew… lucky I lived up to expectations or that could have been embarrassing for both of us! :)

• Jennifer | Mar 1, 2013 at 1:13 am

I must admit I’m a bit sad that this is the last post from Myanmar. I’ve truly enjoyed following along with your time there.
    Jennifer recently posted..Simplon Pass: One of the Most Scenic Drives in SwitzerlandMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Don’t cry… there’ll be more to come from other random countries around the world! :)

• Angela | Mar 1, 2013 at 2:53 am

Great collection, the sunset is spectacular!
    Angela recently posted..The vintage, the kitsch and the outlandish. An average stroll in LondonMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Thanks, Angela. I took a LOT of photos in Myanmar so it made it easier to find 20 decent ones! ;)

• Andrew | Mar 1, 2013 at 6:37 am

My takeaway from this. Beautiful sunset, crazy things on a grill and awwww puppies. Am interested in the idea of a cat monastery though.
    Andrew recently posted..Derinkuyu Underground CityMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm

Most people are either a puppy or cat monastery people. Never both.

• Laura @Travelocafe | Mar 1, 2013 at 7:36 am

Myanmar looks breath-taking and I would love to taste the local cuisine.
    Laura @Travelocafe recently posted..The Amazing Costumes of Jidai Matsuri from KyotoMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:38 pm

As I’ve said, the food is better than expected! Especially when you get something really fresh!

• Rease | Mar 2, 2013 at 6:30 am

Beautiful. I love those golden flowers.
    Rease recently posted..Skyrobics – How to Exercise on TrampolinesMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I love the way they catch the sun. All the gold at the pagodas is just stunning!

• Ali | Mar 4, 2013 at 8:45 am

PUPPIES!!! They are super cute! Love that sunset photo, gorgeous. This is definitely a country that intrigues me, and your posts make me more interested in going someday.
    Ali recently posted..The Documents of TravelMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I think you’re going to have to give it a go now. Every comment you guys have written seems to be heading that way! :)

• Natasha von Geldern | Mar 5, 2013 at 10:51 am

I have really enjoyed your Myanmar posts – what a fascinating country and I could tell you felt inspired by your travel there :)
    Natasha von Geldern recently posted..Tackling Australia’s Great Ocean WalkMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 10, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Yeah, a really fascinating country. Thanks for following along!

• Cam @ Traveling Canucks | Mar 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Great photos Turtle!
    Cam @ Traveling Canucks recently posted..Unusual Discoveries made by Airport Screening Officers in 2012My Profile

• Jade Johnston - OurOyster.com | Mar 11, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Loved the first two images! I shoot with a Canon 550 which is the older version of the one you have. I shoot mostly on aperature priority – which is a pretty easy manual setting to learn to use. Its a good way to start learning how to use the camera to its full potential. Oh and that kit lens isn’t too bad actually – I have taken good images with it!

• Michael Turtle | Mar 26, 2013 at 3:23 am

Thanks for the tip! I really should start giving that a go sometime. I’m just scared to take it off that little automatic setting. It’s so easy! :)

• apol | WanderfulTogether.com | Mar 9, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Wow that sunset is gorgeous!

What do they have in the fields? Corn?
    apol | WanderfulTogether.com recently posted..Long Beach in San Vicente | Palawan, PhilippinesMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Apr 4, 2014 at 6:50 am

The sunsets were all so incredible. I’ve never seen such rich colours!

And I’m pretty sure the crop is sugarcane. They grow quite a lot of it (and make a delicious juice from it, by the way!)