Making the perfect gin and tonic

how to make, making the perfect gin and tonic, gin, tonic, glass, ice, lemon, lime

Making the perfect gin and tonic

Gin and tonic recipe

I call it a ‘gin and tonic’. The Spanish call it a ‘gin tonic’. Who needs conjunctions when they taste so good?

In the north east of the country, deep into Catalonia, gin tonics have become the fashionable drink. People sit outside on the street tables drinking them. Some bars serve only gin and nothing else.

One of them is Els Cacadors in the small town of Ribes de Freser. It’s a family business that also has a restaurant and a hotel – but, of course, it’s the drinks I’m most interested in.

The good news is that one of the owners, Ramon Pau, has offered to teach me how to make the perfect gin tonic and let me taste a few different types.

“Ten years ago in Spain people drink wine, now it’s the same with gin tonic,” he explains. “Gin tonic is now a different category and it is a gastronomy.”

He would know. The bar has been in the family for four generations and he’s seen the change in the scene. I settled on to a stool at his bar, gladly accepted the first of the gin tonics and started to ask him to spill his secrets.

Here, now, I share how to make the perfect gin tonic.

The glass

The glass needs to help open up the flavours. The worst thing you can do is drink the gin tonics from a skinny glass. I know it’s the popular thing in most bars and clubs you might go, but the experts prefer the bigger and rounder glasses. It’s all got to do with the ice, apparently. Ramon uses two glasses to demonstrate his point. Have a look at the photo below: The skinny glass held three bits of ice while the larger one held eight.

The ice

Ramon looks at me seriously when he makes this next point. “Water is the enemy of the gin tonic,” he says, as though discussing a lethal toxin that can’t be touched. The aim here is to stop the ice from melting. So the bigger the pieces, the better. The more compact (as in, closer to each other), the better. The more you can fit in, the better.

The gin

“Is there a best gin in the world?” Ramon asks himself. “No, there’s no such thing.” But choosing the right gin for you is very important. He serves 50 types of gin at Els Cacadors and when he opens his new bar later in the year he’ll have about 100 on offer. Each gin has its own strength, its own fruit influences, its own bitterness. My two favourites were a German gin called ‘Monkey’ and a British one called ‘One Key’.

The tonic

The standard for every gin tonic is a plain Schweppes tonic. “That’s my reference,” is how Ramon puts it. It will work with everything… but then you can try some other tonics to see if you like them better. “You can compare it with something more fun, more exotic, more botanic,” Ramon says. For strong and dry gins, he recommends using the ‘azahar lavender’ tonic. For flowery gins (or ‘lady flavours’, as he calls them), Ramon suggests the ‘pink pepper’ tonic. And for cinnamon gins, try a ginger ale.

The ratio

There isn’t too much room for flexibility here. The gin portion of the drink should be between 30 and 50 millilitres and the tonic should be about 200 millilitres. “Not too much gin because the mixer must be friendly,” Ramon says. Originally I had found it a bit weird that he kept personifying the ingredients of the drink. Now it seems quite natural. I’m sure I wouldn’t be the first person who has spent an evening talking into my glass.

The garnish

This is where I’ve always made the biggest mistakes. I’ve traditionally always used a wedge of lime in my gin tonics but Ramon looks at me with disgust when I tell him this. “ The acid of the lime or the lemon kills the gin,” he admonishes. He uses slivers of lemon rind as the main addition to the liquids. If you want to get a bit fancy, he says you can also use juniper berries, strawberries and mint leaves.

We’re on to our third glass of gin tonic by now. Actually, let me rephrase that. I’m on to my third gin tonic… Ramon has maintained a peculiar degree of professionalism through all of this. That’s because, for him, this is something serious. It all makes sense when I ask him to share his most important tip.

He smiles. There’s no hesitation – he knows the answer immediately. “The most important thing is the company and the friends.”

Too true.

You can find out more here about the gin bar and the Els Cacadors Hotel and Restaurant

Time Travel Turtle was a guest of the Costa Brava Pirineu de Girona tourism board but the opinions, over-written descriptions and bad jokes are his own.

• T.W. Anderson @ Marginal Boundaries | Oct 9, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Gin and tonics have long been a favorite of mine, along with a dry vodka martini. I’m mostly a wine drinker but when I do order a “drink” while out and about, it’s usually gin and tonic first, dry vodka martini second, and if I’m feeling festive I’ll go for my third choice, mojitos 🙂

Good stuff!
    T.W. Anderson @ Marginal Boundaries recently posted..Comment on Gift Giving, Tipping and Bribery – A Cultural Understanding by T.W. AndersonMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Well, I hope this helped then. Although you might want to be careful giving a bartender advice on how to make your drinks. I’ve discovered they don’t really appreciate that! 🙂

• Steve | Oct 10, 2012 at 2:24 am

MMM I love gin and tonic!! Awesome article–bookmarked and saved for libation time!

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Let me know how you go and if you notice a difference from using some of these tips!

• Cristina Garcia | Oct 10, 2012 at 3:47 am

You cannot use Schweppes tonic on a Gin and tonic. This brand uses too much sugar. The perfect tonic (for me anyway) is Fever tree tonic. It is super amazing. Mix it with Hendricks, lemon peel and lemon verbena. Awesome

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Ooohh… controversial!! 🙂
      I guess the choice of tonic is a personal decision for some people. It’s probably worth trying a few options to see what works for you.

• Mark Christenson | Sep 3, 2014 at 12:54 am

Cristina–not sure where you are writing from. If you’re talking about Schweppes tonic from the US, then you are correct–avoid at all costs. However the Euro Schweppes is a different formula and worthwhile. In the US I heartily agree–Fever-Tree is the only/best option! Also a brief note to Michael–the German gin is Monkey 47, not just Monkey–killer stuff for sure!

• thetravelfool | Oct 10, 2012 at 5:08 am

You have to admire a professional that knows his craft.
    thetravelfool recently posted..Planes, Trains, Automobiles and More – Part 2My Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Especially when that ‘craft’ involves mixing drinks! 🙂

• Adela @FourJandals | Oct 10, 2012 at 7:23 am

I love gin and tonic. We did a gin tasting earlier in the year and I was amazed at how many gins are out there, and also how many different tonic combinations you can use. Interesting about the jar shape, I always assumed skinny was best.
    Adela @FourJandals recently posted..Surfing in Samoa – A Ride of a LifetimeMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Before this opportunity, I had never thought too much about it either. I’d always assumed all gins were fairly similar and there was only one way to mix things together. It’s opened up my eyes (and made me want to try all the different types of gin…)

• Nicole | Oct 10, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Um, yes please 😉 Baby B is asleep so a gin and tonic sounds wonderful.
    Nicole recently posted..Dealing with 9-hour time change & Baby Jet LagMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Ha ha – I’m sure you deserve it!! 🙂

• Micki | Oct 10, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Mmmm… Excellent post. I’ve become a fan of the gin and tonic in the last couple of years, though I admit to enjoying it with a slice of lime (apologies to Ramon).
    Micki recently posted..Jumping Crocodiles on Australia’s Adelaide RiverMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’ve always had it with lime myself. I always thought that was fine… but you can really taste the difference if you take his suggestions!

• Natalie | Oct 10, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I like gin but unfortunately I think it does not like me!!
    Natalie recently posted..The Shoe Shine Scam of IstanbulMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Oh no – that sounds like possibly the worst thing in the world! How could gin mistreat you so?

• D.J. - The World of Deej | Oct 10, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I’m actually not a fan of gin tonics, but MJ loves them and I make them for her all the time. I’ll have to remember these tips:)
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..A Day Trip From Napa To Sonoma CountyMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I hope you impress her and she notices the difference! It will have made this post all worthwhile! 🙂

• TONI ARNAU | Oct 11, 2012 at 12:58 am

Great Gin Tonic from “La Cerdanya”, Catalonia. We are the new spanish Tuscany region with many things to discover if you comes.

Thanks to TBEX Congress you know Catalonia and we are enjoying your faboulous articles.

• Michael Turtle | Oct 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Excellent, thanks for the info! And you’re right about Catalonia having just as much to offer as Tuscany… except for maybe the museums of Florence.

• Andrew | Oct 17, 2012 at 7:56 am

I really like Gin-Tonic, but definitely do not have much of a palette. I am quite happy with cheap gin and whatever tonic is around. I just like the way it makes me feel. 🙂
    Andrew recently posted..Meteora MonasteriesMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Oct 23, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Oh, don’t say that! That’s how I used to think… but then I had an enlightenment. Now that I’ve tried such a variety of amazing gins, I’m not sure I could ever go back to the simple ones…

• Lisa Joy | Nov 4, 2012 at 8:22 am

Ya no wot, Turts? Every few weeks I catch up on your blogs but every time I log on, I go to the map on the front page and look at all those upside down red teardrops.

You’ve been away for almost 18 months now and the teardrops hardly make a splash. There is still so much green to explore. We really are insignificant, aren’t we?

Here’s to lots more upside down teardrops, adventures, and spreading the word and the world. 🙂

• Michael Turtle | Nov 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Oh, thanks Lisa. You’ve described it so well and make the journey seem a lot more romantic than it actually is!
      But, yes, you’re right. There is still a lot of green on that map. Gradually it’s being replaced by red but you can’t rush these things or you don’t experience them properly!!

• Best Travel Blogs 2013 « 101 Holidays blog | Dec 8, 2012 at 2:12 am

[…] covers a huge range of topics including light-hearted posts from how to make the perfect gin and tonic in Spain to what it’s like to drive a Lamborghini around the Imola race track. Then there are […]

• Manuel | Jun 15, 2013 at 3:12 am

Do you know something about the “Botánicos para Gin tonic”?,
    What do you prefer?
    Regards!

• Michael Turtle | Jun 23, 2013 at 1:09 am

I hadn’t heard about it at all. Thanks for the tip!

• Shazbag | May 15, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Have recently discovered the joys of gin as well. Current fav is Caurunn (luxury Scottish gin) thin slivers of apple and schweppes tonic does it for me. In total agreement with Els, a “copa” has to be the glass of choice

• Michael Turtle | May 17, 2015 at 5:40 pm

The thin slivers of apple is an interesting take on it. I’m not sure if I’ve ever done that. Might have to give it a go next time! Sounds healthier too 🙂

• La receta del gin-tonic perfecto - Cataluña : Agencia Catalana de Turismo | Sep 9, 2016 at 1:44 pm

[…] ¡El hielo, la ginebra, la tónica, la copa…Descubre la clave para elaborar el mejor gin-tonic con Michael! […]

• La recepta del gintònic perfecte - Catalunya : Agència Catalana de Turisme | Sep 9, 2016 at 1:45 pm

[…] El gel, la ginebra, la tònica, la copa…Descobreix la clau per elaborar el millor gintònic amb Michael! […]

• Bahtiyar | Oct 10, 2016 at 2:18 pm

WOW! Hello, Michael. Thanks for a great receipt. I have recently considered about building a good bar in my flat. Having a good Gin tonic in it would be a perfect option. Especially, while having intimate dates with girls, this drink will be tremendously effective!
    Bahtiyar recently posted..ADVANTAGES OF GROUP BLOGGINGMy Profile

• Mal Harris | Jan 2, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Just a question about the method used to add, I assume, the tonic. Why is the long skewer used? Thank you.

• Michael Turtle | Jan 2, 2017 at 1:04 pm

Hi Mal. Pouring it down the swizzle stick helps keep the gas in the tonic so that the drink is more effervescent.
      (I’m not sure I would notice the difference – but that’s the logic!!) 🙂