flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (7)

Flowers in the air

Yodpiman Flower Market, Bangkok

In Bangkok, the markets provide some of the most interesting sights. There’s a vibrancy to the bustle of the locals rushing through, past the small crowded stalls.

Through the whole city, none is more vibrant than the flower markets. By the very nature of the wares, it’s all about colour. Throw all of those hues under the same roof and it looks like a child’s crayon box has exploded and the result has been captured for sale.

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (6)

The flower markets are open 24 hours a day and are busiest in the very early hours of the morning (about 3 or 4 o’clock) when the professionals swoop in to get the best of the pick. But they can be enjoyed anytime.

It was quiet the afternoon I popped in, with a natural lull between flowerful trading. Still, the blooms were out and there was a fair amount of business taking place. The smell of the flowers hung in the humid air and, for once, the creeping wafts from the city’s sewers had disappeared.

Anyway, flowers are meant to be seen, not described. So let me now share with you Bangkok’s flower market. Take a deep breath and smell the roses.

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (1)

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (2)

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (4)

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (5)

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (8)

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (9)

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (3)

flower market, bangkok, thailand, yodpiman market, pak khlong talat (10)

• Aggy | Jan 16, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Looks stunning! Wish I could smell them too!
    Aggy recently posted..Mykonos: Beauty and the JellyfishMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Jan 17, 2013 at 3:42 am

Just imagine. It smells like angels have pooped :)

• D.J. - The World of Deej | Jan 18, 2013 at 12:08 am

Beautiful…always fun to see species of flowers that you don’t find at home…
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..The Queen Victoria Room at Victoria & Albert’s – The Best Meal of My LifeMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Feb 5, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I don’t know what half the flowers are – I don’t think I’ve seen many of them at home.

• Jennifer | Jan 21, 2013 at 4:14 am

Beautiful! I especially like the yellow flowers with the pink center.
    Jennifer recently posted..Best Dozen Posts of 2012My Profile

• Michael Turtle | Feb 5, 2013 at 11:31 pm

Yeah, the colours are so vibrant and the flowers are so fresh!

• Laura @Travelocafe | Jan 24, 2013 at 9:08 am

I love flowers… and I love what these women do with them… even if it is sad the flowers have to die for that…. art has its price.
    Laura @Travelocafe recently posted..Best Western Hotel Lerdalshojden, Rattvik. Stunning Views & Cute DecorMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Feb 6, 2013 at 1:25 am

If the flowers didn’t die, we wouldn’t get to see them. I guess that’s the trade off. And I assume (hope) that there are enough flowers out there that it doesn’t have too much of an effect.

• Flowers in the morning | Eye Candy Arts | Jan 26, 2013 at 1:19 am

[…] Yodpiman Flower Market Pak Khlong Talat Bangkok Time TravelThe flower markets are open 24 hours a day and are busiest in the very early hours of the morning about 3 or 4 o’clock when the professionals swoop in to get the best of the pick. But they can be enjoyed anytime. It was quiet.… […]