north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (7)

North Korea and the ‘Greatest Show On Earth’

The Mass Games

It is, in some ways, misleading to call them ‘The Mass Games’. The enormous, grandiose, colour-drenched, epic performance has nothing to do with competition or playfulness. It is a 90-minute orgy of coordination, talent, dancing, acrobatics, music, patriotism and propaganda.

The setting – in Pyongyang’s May Day Stadium – is impressive enough. It is generally accepted to be the largest stadium in the world, holding about 150,000 people. Although it has been used for football games, official functions and executions (yes, you read that right), its main purpose is as the home of the Mass Games.

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (1)

For each performance, there are more than 100,000 people involved. About 20,000 of them are children who sit in the stands and, by holding up signs, form a colossal picture background for each scene. Meanwhile, the rest of the performers appear on the stadium’s grass and gradually tell the story of two star-crossed lovers, torn apart and trying to be reunited. You don’t need much analysis to understand this is telling the story, through metaphor, of the two Koreas.

In recent years, there have been several performances of the Mass Games show each week during August, September (and sometimes extended into October). It’s not clear now, after the death of Kim Jong Il, what to expect in the years to come. So I thought this would be a good time to share some photos from my experience at the Mass Games.

I was in North Korea for a ten day trip around the country and there’s no doubt this was one of the highlights. I don’t think you need any commentary. These photos speak for themselves. Enjoy.

Photos of Mass Games, North Korea

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (2)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (3)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (4)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (5)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (6)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (8)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (9)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (10)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (11)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (12)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (13)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (14)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (15)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (16)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (17)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (18)

north korea, mass games, ariang games, pyongyang, may day stadium, photos (19)

Are you interested in finding out more about North Korea? Check out my North Korea Travel Guide!

• molly | Nov 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Love the symmetry in the formations, fantastic colour on these photos. But what a lot of discipline & hard work for these guys, I´m exhausted just by looking at the images.

• Michael Turtle | Nov 22, 2012 at 11:49 am

The rehearsal and training must be intense! And then they do the performance several times a week for a couple of months. Yikes – that would definitely be exhausting!

• Illumi Arzia | Nov 19, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Cool.
    I never know that they have big event like that.
    Illumi Arzia recently posted..Weekly Photo Challenge: GreenMy Profile

• Jennifer | Nov 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Wow, that is truly incredible! I love the mountain scene and the winter scene. What disciple those children must have to participate and turn their signs in synchronized time. This is something I would absolutely love to see!
    Jennifer recently posted..Heidelberg Castle and the World’s Largest Wine Barrel andMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 22, 2012 at 11:50 am

The staging was stunning. In fact, the whole thing was just so perfectly synchronized. It makes some of the Olympic Opening Ceremonies look like a children’s pantomime!!

• D.J. - The World of Deej | Nov 20, 2012 at 12:04 am

Hmmm…pretty incredible stuff… Was it just one giant propaganda fest though?
    D.J. – The World of Deej recently posted..The Omni Orlando at ChampionsGate – Check-In FloridaMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 22, 2012 at 11:51 am

Ha. Was it one giant propaganda fest? There is no other thing in North Korea! It’s basically put on for the population who are brought in by the busload every night. It’s to reinforce the greatness of the country and the leaders! Having a few foreigners there is just a bit of an afterthought.

• Jade - OurOyster.com | Nov 20, 2012 at 9:46 am

It’s a pretty amazing spectacle… I saw it once on a documentary as well – I really want to do one of those tours around North Korea some day
    Jade – OurOyster.com recently posted..Australia – Glass Working In Canberra #humanbrochureMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 22, 2012 at 11:53 am

Yeah, the documentary ‘State of Mind’ is a really good look at what goes on behind the scenes to make something like this happen!

• Angela | Nov 21, 2012 at 6:05 am

Wow what a feast of colors and perfect coordination, I would love to see one!
    Angela recently posted..Traveling for the sake of writing or else?My Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 22, 2012 at 12:03 pm

It was so colourful! I don’t know who does the staging and the lighting but it’s one of the most spectacular shows I’ve ever seen!

• Bethaney - Flashpacker Family | Nov 21, 2012 at 9:08 am

So cool! Definitely going on my bucket list!!!!
    Bethaney – Flashpacker Family recently posted..Lessons from the Road of LifeMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Move it to the top of that list – NOW!! :)

• Shanna Schultz | Nov 21, 2012 at 11:09 am

I am curious…from your time in North Korea, did you get the impression that the North Korean people want reunification?

If the underlying subject of the story of these games is the reunification of North and South Korea, how do you think the North Korean government views the games? I didn’t think that in general the government of North Korea supports reunification, and it surprises me that they would allow these games to go on…
    Shanna Schultz recently posted..Alesund Norway on a Budget: How We Spent an Entire Day in Alesund Without Spending a Penny!My Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 22, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Very good question, thanks!
      The official policy of the North Korean regime is that they want reunification. Which is why this is the central theme of the Mass Games. But I get the feeling it is just something they say publicly, rather than really being something they’re working towards. Their policy is that the two Koreas should join together but live the same way for a couple of years… then everyone would get to vote on which system of government they would prefer. The ‘guides’ I had seemed to think this would definitely mean everyone would vote for the North Korean model and a North Korean leader. They seemed genuinely confused when I asked what would happen if it was the other way around.
      But, anyway, as I say, I think it’s more about a public position rather than reality. Personally I think North Korea has much more chance of becoming a part of China than unifying with the South.

• Laurence | Nov 22, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Wow, the required training and co-ordination for a show of this size must be insane. Kind of like the Olympics opening ceremony.. but on a regular basis! Never knew NK did stuff like this – what an amazing opportunity you had here :)
    Laurence recently posted..Hanging out with Lub D in Bangkok: a reviewMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 28, 2012 at 11:52 am

It will be interesting to see if the opportunity continues to exist in the coming years. The new leader might have a different idea of what should be done. He could want to make his own mark and that might involve something bigger, something smaller, or just something very radical.

• Cam | Nov 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I’ve seen this performance on a Canadian travel show, it’s quite impressive. You’ve captured some great images amigo!
    Cam recently posted..Photo of the Week: Colourful Crab in the GalapagosMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Nov 28, 2012 at 12:21 pm

It’s almost as if they did the lighting well just for me! :)

• Erica from Livingif.com | Nov 28, 2012 at 11:36 pm

You got some great photos of the Mass Games as it is so hard to capture the spectacle of the event. We were in North Korea in 2011 and the Airang Games was definitely the highlight. The country is fascinating and going on a tour is quite an experience!
    Erica from Livingif.com recently posted..He Said/She Said: Worldwide ObesityMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Dec 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

Thanks, Erica. Nice to hear from you.
      I’m so pleased to hear you had a chance to see the games for yourself. They are really quite remarkable, aren’t they? Definitely a highlight of any trip there!

• memographer | Dec 4, 2012 at 8:05 am

That’s what I was hoping to see during the opening of 2012 Olympic Games in London. Unfortunately, westerners can’t do this type of performance :)

Certainly, I would love to witness one of the “mass games” in person. However, chances are so low :(

Amazing photos of spectacular event!
    memographer recently posted..Nona Hora. 5th Year AnniversaryMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Dec 7, 2012 at 10:53 am

Ha ha – it probably had better choreography than any Olympic Opening Ceremony. It does seem to be a particularly Asian and/or Communist thing to have so many people in perfect sync. But I don’t imagine North Korea could do humour in quite the way the London games achieved.

• BlbogDaz | Dec 5, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I think I got to with the propaganda theory as well.
    BlbogDaz recently posted..Ghostly Encounters and Spiritual OfferingsMy Profile

• Irina | Jan 23, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I love all of your North Korea pictures, but these ones especially! I have been planning a trip to NK this coming August knowing nothing about the Mass Games, so imagine my excitement when I came across your posts.

So here’s a practical question. What kind of zoom lens did you have with you? I’ve been reading in multiple places that apparently lenses over 150 mm are not allowed in NK. This sucks because that’s exactly the kinda lens I would want to bring to the Games. I wonder if they are really strict about it.
    Irina recently posted..Why Roatan, Honduras Should Be On Your Travel ListMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Feb 6, 2013 at 12:53 am

Ah, good question. From my experience, they didn’t care at all about the lens. I had read the same thing beforehand but one of my lenses has a zoom of 250mm… and they didn’t even check.
      If it’s anything like when I went, I wouldn’t worry at all and just take the equipment you’ve got.
      You’ll have a great time – it’s an amazing experience!

• Cassie | Mar 15, 2013 at 4:57 am

Wow, these are amazing photos! I saw this event in the Departures episode that I think some other commenters referenced. North Korea is such a fascinating, but haunting and the more I think about it — disturbing — place. I’d love to visit, but don’t like the idea of supporting their propaganda machine. Did you struggle with this at all? I’m excited to read more of your thoughts on the place!
    Cassie recently posted..Photographic Guide to the GalapagosMy Profile

• Michael Turtle | Mar 26, 2013 at 3:50 am

I wouldn’t say I ‘struggled’ with it, but it was an issue that came up in conversation with the other travellers sometimes. Ultimately I justify going because I think it’s important to see things for yourself before you pass judgement. And, also, if I didn’t go to countries where I disagreed with the politics then there wouldn’t be many places left on the planet to visit! :)