TJ_Road_US-2011-34_web

Travel ideas from bloggers for 2012

|   Blogging   |   17 Comments

If you need ideas for your next trip or your next destination, where better to look than into the volumes of the travel bloggers. These are no glossy brochures. They’re not staid guidebooks. These are the real stories from people on the ground who have visited as visitors and reported faithfully and without favour.

Any decent travel blog will have stories to inspire your next adventure. But I thought I would choose to highlight just a few, to give a taste of the opportunities for adventures. Perhaps your next trip in 2012 could be to one of these amazing destinations.

Madagascar
travel ideas from bloggers for 2012

Nellie Huang from Wild Junket takes us into the natural beauty of this African island nation. In her post, full of beautiful photos, she explores the mountains, the rivers and the jungle. As she discovers, there’s enough adventure, stunning scenery and luxury here to suit anyone’s tastes.

You can follow Nellie on twitter here.

Argentina
travel ideas from bloggers for 2012

OK, this is a bit self-indulgent seeing as I’m heading back to Argentina in January, but two stories show the potential for exploring the country away from big cities and typical tourist haunts. In this post on Hike Bike Travel, you can see the benefits of using your own transportation to travel through the countryside. And at Absurd Traveler, you can see the benefits of using someone else’s transport (otherwise known as hitchhiking) to explore Patagonia in the south of Argentina.

You can follow Hike Bike Travel on twitter here.

You can follow Absurd Traveler on twitter here.

Tibet
travel ideas from bloggers for 2012

Doesn’t that photo make you want to head straight to Tibet and get caught up in nature? No? Ok, well then maybe horseriding isn’t for you, but it still sounds like an amazing place to visit. Theodora writes on her blog, Travel With A Nine Year Old, about the changing scenery and weather conditions – as well as the feeling of being so far from civilisation on this leg of her journey.

You can follow Theodora on twitter here.

Easter Island
travel ideas from bloggers for 2012

Easter Island would have to be on the travel list of most people. There’s something iconic about those stone bodies or, as The Traveling Canucks described the island in their story, it’s “as if it has a dark history that it doesn’t want to reveal to the world”. It’s a place to philosophise, to marvel at the mystery of man, and to take some amazing photographs!

You can follow The Traveling Canucks on twitter here.

Chernobyl
travel ideas from bloggers for 2012

I have a fascination for places like this and it seems it’s shared by Lauren from Neverending Footsteps. To get a better understanding of history, it’s important to visit locations like Chernobyl, but as Lauren says in her post, “it’s impossible to understand the enormity of what happened”. Still, I can’t imagine the experience of visiting is one you forget quickly.

You can follow Lauren on twitter here.

Iran
travel ideas from bloggers for 2012

From all the stories I’ve heard, Iran is quite a magical place to visit. It’s apparently a beautiful country with extremely friendly people. Quite often a country can get a bad reputation because of the actions of its government and the political advantages Western countries see in demonising it. Read this post by Uncornered Market and then make up your own mind.

You can follow Uncornered Market on twitter here.

So many places, so little time. Hopefully some of these ideas have helped if you’re looking for somewhere to go. Be sure to check out some of the other fantastic places these talented bloggers have visited in 2011 – and get ready for more adventures in 2012.

• Leigh | Dec 29, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thanks so much for including my link. I don’t think anyone can go wrong with a trip to Argentina. Northern Argentina over delivered on scenery and the food and wine we had in the area was memorable.
    I’ll definitely check out some of the other blog links.
    Leigh recently posted..MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY HOLIDAYSMy Profile

• Turtle | Dec 30, 2011 at 12:21 am

I think you sold it well enough when you mentioned food and wine! :)

• jade | Dec 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm

All of these trips would be incredible! My 2012 hopefully includes trips to Hawaii (never been… crazy.), South America, and back to London. If I can swing it, I’d also love to do a road trip around the West of America. Great suggestions!
    jade recently posted..Making Travel Dreams a Reality, A Photo Trip through 2011My Profile

• Turtle | Dec 30, 2011 at 12:08 am

Thanks Jade. I hope you manage to do all those trips – they sound fantastic!

• Shay | Apr 3, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Hi fellow travelers,

This is a wonderful blog, why hasn’t anyone posted anything since Dec? I’m sure we have all did some traveling since then. I have been to Naples, Italy and I’m on my way to Africa. :-)
      Shay
      Shay recently posted..Shay’s Canada Adventure 03/12My Profile

• Turtle | Apr 4, 2012 at 4:42 am

Thanks Shay. Africa will be amazing! Make sure you check back in and let us know how it’s going!

• Cam | Dec 29, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Hey – Thanks for including us in this great post!
    We’d also love to visit Tibet and Iran…
    Cam recently posted..19 Epic Adventures by Travel Bloggers in 2011My Profile

• Turtle | Dec 30, 2011 at 12:13 am

My pleasure. There’s something quite magical about the idea of going to Tibet or Iran, you’re right. I can’t wait to make it there myself one day.

• TheWorldOrBust | Dec 31, 2011 at 2:18 am

eek i Don’t know about Iran right now. I’m all about going to places where you “shouldn’t”, but, I think there are plenty of amazing places to go without risking being caught up in the mess over there. I mean look at those three poor hikers, crazy!
    TheWorldOrBust recently posted..What to See and Do in Caracas, Venezuela!My Profile

• TheWorldOrBust | Dec 31, 2011 at 2:19 am

haha and I love how my commentluv is to a post on my blog to visit Venezuela :S

• Turtle | Dec 31, 2011 at 9:20 am

Ha ha! From what I hear, Venezuela is much more dangerous than Iran! (As long as you’re not a spy, that is)

• Candice Michelle | Jan 2, 2012 at 10:11 pm

One of my most favorite feelings in life is to see beautiful places like these ones on the pictures above. That was like a moment worth remembering. The reason why I love traveling.

• Angel Collins | Jan 3, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Those are really awesome places. I’d like to go to Easter Island in Chile and be able to see those giant stone structures, firsthand. I should be traveling more this year, I hope so. Thanks for sharing all of these. :)
    Angel Collins recently posted..Feel Good Friday: Socially Responsible EntrepreneursMy Profile

• Turtle | Jan 5, 2012 at 8:56 am

I hope you get a chance to do some more travelling! Easter Island is definitely a great choice, if you can!

• Jessica | Jan 4, 2012 at 7:33 am

I have a strange fascination with places like Chernobyl as well. Awesome post/pics!

• Joseph | Jan 19, 2012 at 2:46 am

Really amazing and interesting post. Very much useful for young travelers like me. Thanks again for a wonderful post.

• Turtle | Jan 19, 2012 at 11:29 am

My pleasure. I hope you get something out of it!